WDMA's Mission Statement
The Window & Door Manufacturers Association defines the standards of excellence in the residential and commercial window, door and skylight industry and advances these standards among industry members while providing resources, education and professional programs designed to advance industry businesses and provide greater value for their customers.
The History of WDMA
- The association had its origin in 1927 with the formation of the National Door Manufacturers Association.
- In 1949, it changed its name to the National Woodwork Manufacturers Association to be more representative of the diversity of products made by its members.
- In 1945, the Association created a separate entity -- Ponderosa Pine Woodwork -- to carry out its promotional activities. This promotional arm was consolidated into NWMA in 1975.
- In 1985, the name was changed to the National Wood Window & Door Association to provide an even better awareness of the products manufactured by its members.
- In 1998, the name was changed again to the Window and Door Manufacturers Association reflecting the increasing diversity of manufacturing materials.
- In 2008, opened an office in Washington DC that greatly expanded the Association's legislative and regulatory advocacy initiatives.